Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sweet & Spicy Rice Bowl with Naam's Chipotle Miso Gravy - Recipe

Naam, one of my fave Vancouver Westside eateries makes the most delectable, filling vegetarian meals around. Since on my workstudy here in Banff,  I've been pining for a taste of Naam. I drove into Calgary for the weekend, for a city fix, and stopped by Community Foods on 10th Ave. As I was casually browsing their goods, lo and behold, bottles of Naam's Miso Gravy lined up on the shelf. I reached for the Chipotle Miso Gravy, I couldn't resist. So when I returned to Banff this evening, I was super stoked to get in the kitchen and cook with my new purchase. Hope you like it!

First and foremost, deal with some rice. I like mixed grains, but your fave type of rice will do! Usually, the ratio is 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water. Cover, bring to a boil, lift lid, stir once, cover once again, simmer that puppy on low for 50 minutes, uncover, fluff with fork, cover once more, let stand for 10 mins til the rice soaks up the rest of the water!

Meanwhile....
- chop some yellow pepper
- dice some red onion
- mince a clove of garlic
....and throw all these ingredients to cook in a drizzle of olive oil in a pan until they're soft. Feel free to sprinkle a pinch of cumin and salt for flavour.

Then you'll wanna...
- strain and rinse some organic red kidney beans
- chop up some (3) dates 
- dice up a quarter of an apple
......and chuck those in with the veggies

- Pour as much of Naam's Chipotle Miso Gravy as you see fit to coat the veggies/fruit/bean mixture
- Stir in a dollop of organic cream cheese, to subdue some of the spice from the sauce, while keeping its kick
- Add a dash of soymilk, to thicken. 

Continue stirring until you can't control yourself anymore, and must consume the meal you have cooked! 
Pour the veggies and the sauce atop the bed of rice that awaits

But lastly, a final touch: grate some carrots and garnish. The raw grated carrots are a nice addition, I find, to compliment the richness of the rest of the dish.

Ready, Set, Consuuuume!

No comments:

Post a Comment